Sunday, April 06, 2008

I'm British, I can't help it

We find it really funny when things go wrong for people. I laughed and laughed when the Patriots threw the Superbowl away, not least because I despise their coach.

Its not just all wanting smug, self satisfied, over confident people you want to see fall on their arse once in a while. 'Things going wrong' has positive connatations.


Look at Zimbabwe, nothing funny about that right? Horrendous human rights abuses, corruption, power mad leader. Horrible things. But you HAVE to appreiate the humour in the fact that the ruling party seem to be managing to lose a rigged election. A rigged election which THEY rigged! I mean that is a special kind of incompetence.

I think from the outside looking in it can be seen as a really bad cynicism and pessimism that speaks of misery and a desire for others to fail. I'm here to tell you that that really isn't it, it's just really funny when things go wrong. I can only speak for myself but with so many awful and horrific things in the world, you've got to take the laughs where you can find them.

As inspiring and amazing as human endeavour is, the depths of man's incompetence is equally awe inspiring, and there is nothing wrong with failing horribly. The attitude that 'to win is all' and 'failure is unacceptable' may be a nice aspirational thing to put on a poster, but that's not life is it? I forget who it was but I heard an American say once - 'Everyone in America says "Have a nice day". You guys don't do that because you know it's impossible to have an entirely nice day "have a nice 15 minutes" would be a lot more achievable'. It doesn't mean that we hate everything and everyone and want everyone to live in misery (OK, maybe I do but not everyone else!). It just means we laugh at life, or at least thats my take on it. I'll try and put all this into a single sentence.


I love it when things go wrong, because then I know that its not all just one big fix.



And its really really funny.

10 comments:

Olivia said...

I wonder if that's the first ever rigged election to be lost. If you look at it that way, it is pretty funny.

"Have a nice day" is like saying, "Good morning" which meant something once. Even goodbye meant "God be wi' ye". It's the little courtesies that count, in my opinion, but then I like people to dwell in harmony and be nice to one another.

Feel free to gag if you like, but by now you well know that deprivation of certain kinds makes me feel blue!

Olivia said...

Oh yes, and when someone says to me, "Have a nice day." I say, "You too." And I smile at them, and I mean it.

MattJ said...

You really take the fun out of sweeping generalisations, do you know that? lol!

Jo said...

I'm with Liv on this one.

But I'm kind of with Matt on the majority of his post.

All through college I was angry and broody. I was always looking for a reason to ask someone "what the f**k are youlooking at?"

I think that's one of the reasons I was all sorts of punk rock before punk became mainstream. I had a chip on my shoulder and I was daring anyone to make it move.

Now, I look at everything with a different, albeit more cynical, lens. I may not necessarily delight in the misery of others like Matt does, but I do look for the humor in different situations.

MattJ said...

I delight in the misery of others now? I think think maybe the mood of my post may have been wildly misjudged here lol!

Do we have a raise on 'delights in the misery of others'? A puppy drowning whilst cackling maniacally perhaps? :p

Jo said...

I just took an informal poll of my coworkers. Many tend to think that Mugabe's screwey election was apropos and somewhat humorous considering the context.

You are hereby off the hook.

MattJ said...

I;m not entirely sure why I was on the hook in the first place to be honest.....

Jo said...

Duh... Because you delight in the misery of others... You hate kittens, too. So there.

MattJ said...

kittens don't count, they will ultimately turn into the slavemasters of the future that will result in the downfall of the human race.

Olivia said...

Well all I can say is, I probably lost my sense of humour one morning in a temp agency last year along with my temper...

 
/* -----------GOOGLE ANALYTICS TRACKING CODE-------------- */ /*------------------END TRACKING CODE-------------------- */