Wednesday, September 23, 2009

"Just delete half of it..."

Where have I been? Well, improvements to Facebook and the existence of Twitter continues to kill off my blogging - which can only be a good thing for you masochists who continue to read it.


Anyway, to the subject at hand. Work, as always, is variable in terms of how much its enjoyable. Recently I was in annoyed, dumb struck and amused in equal parts but as time passes I find it funnier and funnier.

One of the side effects of being on the same project for 4 years is that, despite any efforts to the contrary, you learn things. Some of you more naive people may consider this a good thing, but you're clearly idiots. When you know things, people ask you things and people asking you things leads to people asking you to do things. This can never end well.

I'm cursed with a brain that insists on learning things without my knowledge, at points where I am very clearly not paying attention it can't stop fidgeting and picking useful things up. It's incredibly distressing. When I think that I am focussing on cakes or wombles, I am in fact learning about the finer points of something work related.

As a result of this unfortunate situation and some people leaving the project, I've been asked to deliver some training relating to the project to various people. I was given the material to update and change as necessary, there's quite a lot of it as it's an all-day session. Or at least it was.

I was told a couple of days ago that it is now '4 hours including a morning break and a lunch break'. Now, at this point I had already removed some sections that were out of date or unnecessary but also that we had to add a section to cope with some new developments. This is a new presentation for me, with new materials.

After being told of the time frame, I approached my manager so that he could impart some pearls of managerial wisdom. I explained how the material currently runs at between 5 and 8 hours, depending on how many questions get asked along the way (usually a lot). If we remove the lunch hour, and the break that leaves me between 2.5 and 3 hours to deliver this training. Even conservatively speaking, that cuts the time in half. It was at this point that I was given the best advice I have ever heard, delivered completely seriously.

"just delete half of it"

And that was it.

I'm not going to go into the difficulties presented, the complexities of what it is I am explaining or how 'Just deleting half of it' is going to be challenging to say the least. All of that is irrelevant.

I'm going to become a motivational speaker, I'm going to have t-shirts printed up with the phrase "Just delete half of it..." on the front. I'm going to run seminars. I'll come on stage with the Britney mic, to the tune of 'Don't Stop Believin'' by Journey.

"In a bad relationship?! - Just Delete half of it!"
"Don't like your job?! - Just Delete Half of it!"

An auditorium full of desperate fuckwits chanting 'just delete half of it!"

The day will be scheduled to run between 9am and 5:30pm but I'll fuck off with the money at lunchtime.

5 comments:

ammar said...

شركة تنظيف بالجبيل
شركة تنظيف بالخبر
شركة تنظيف بالقطيف
شركة تنظيف بالاحساء
شركة تنظيف بخميس مشيط
شركة تنظيف بابها
شركة تنظيف بالهفوف
شركة تنظيف بحفر الباطن
شركة تنظيف بالظهران
شركة تنظيف براس تنورة
شركة تنظيف في الدمام
شركة شفط الصرف الصحى
شركة تنظيف خزانات المياه بالدمام
شركة تنظيف في الدمام
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالدمام
شركة مكافحة الفئران بالدمام
شركة مكافحة بق الفراش بالدمام
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بالاحساء
شركة نقل عفش بالدمام والاحساء
شركة تنظيف بالخبر
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالخبر
شركة نقل اثاث بالخبر
شركة تنظيف بالجبيل
شركة تنظيف براس تنورة
شركة تنظيف بالقطيف
شركة تنظيف بالقطيف
شركة تنظيف بسيهات
شركة تنظيف بالظهران
شركة تنظيف بالهفوف
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالاحساء
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالجبيل
شركة مكافحة حشرات براس تنورة
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالقطيف
شركة تنظيف مساجد بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بالدمام
شركة تنظيف شقق بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بالدمام
شركة تنظيف شقق بالدمام
شركة تنظيف فلل بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بخميس مشيط
شركة مكافحة حشرات بخميس مشيط
شركة تسليك مجارى بخميس مشيط
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بخميس مشيط
شركة نقل اثاث بخميس مشيط
شركة تنظيف بابها
.............

Hữu Tú Trương said...

Nice blog !!!
thanks for sharing
thiet ke noi that chung cu
thi cong noi that chung cu
Kien truc nha vui
Xay dung nha vui
Cong ty nha vui
Nha vui

ركن الهدى said...


شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالخبر
شركة جلى بلاط ورخام بالخبر
شركة شفط بيارات بالخبر
شركة تسليك مجارى بالخبر
شركة رش مبيدات بالخبر
شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالخبر
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالخبر
شركة تنظيف واجهات بالخبر
شركة تنظيف مسابح بالخبر
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالخبر

شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام said...


شركة عزل اسطح بالدمام
شركة مكافحة الحمام بالدمام
شركة تنظيف مجالس.كنب.موكيت بالدمام
شركة مكافحة الحمام بالرياض

sumon tripura said...

Great work. Truly speaking I never seen a blog like that. Absolutely superb work. Good luck. Thanks for such an informative post. For more information visit k2 incense

 
/* -----------GOOGLE ANALYTICS TRACKING CODE-------------- */ /*------------------END TRACKING CODE-------------------- */