Monday, March 31, 2008

Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

But Misérables apparently doesn't mean Miserable so this blog title loses all integrity after even the most cursory inspection. I'll let you know whenI start to care.

So Hannah came to visit on Friday for the weekend, something I'd been looking forward too with entirely too much enthusiasm and excitement, but then I am essentially a child so, again with the caring and letting you know.

I'd made a big fat beef stew in the slow cooker which came out nicely so we were able to collapse in our seats and watch some Invader Zim before going to bed. The reason for the visit was due to a delayed Christmas present, rather than an actual thing I'd got tickets to go and see Les Misérables at the Queen's Theatre on Shaftsbury avenue. It's a long and boring story but basically, it was Hannah's present so I wanted to make it her choice (not least because I have no idea when it comes to what is good and what is not in Theatreland!). Turns out Les Mis was her favourite musical, so there you have it.

I was fairly asure I would at least like it, I've been to a couple of operas and enjoyed the experience (except for Francesca da Rimini which is bloody awful) and I'd heard a couple of Les Mis songs in the past and they seemed tolerable.

Anyway, long story short. Go and see it, it is absolutely astonishing. I have nothing bad to say about it and I have no piss to take from it - this is a ridiculous rarity - normally I can find something to have a joke about even about things that i love. I enjoyed it so much I actually felt guilty about getting her a ticket for the show as a Christmas present, as I got at least as much enjoyment out of it as she did!

I can't stress enough how much you should go and see this show, if only for the amazing spinny, rotating, super transformer, Mechano-esque set!

Best weekend I've had since moving, bar none.

5 comments:

Olivia said...

Well I never, something Matt likes. ;)

Honestly it's one of those books I've never been able to pick up, and I am fussy when it comes to musicals, so I've skipped that too. But did enjoy one of the movie adaptations, the one with Gerard Depardieu.

Maybe one day I'll pull my socks up and read it/see it, though it might take longer to get around to than even Wuthering Heights.

MattJ said...

Well maybe hannah will wade in here, she knows more about this stuff from me but from what i understand, compared to the stage show the film adaptions are awful so if you enjoyed that the stage should knock you out! Also the book is apparently monumentally depressing, with none of the lighter moments of the stage show!

Wuthering Heights, please don't put yourself through it! That book really put the nail in the coffin of the 'but it's a classic!' school of thought. Just because some crusty old english literary nazis tell you something is good, it doesn't mean it is.

I didn't mind the style of writing but the only, barely, likeable character is the narrator, everyone else makes you want to cringe or vomit up your pelvis!

I should totally write book reviews for the papers. :p

Hanrah said...

I'm with Matt re:Wuthering Heights I'm afraid!

I've never read Les Mis myself, but have it on very good authority that its the sort of book I should avoid at all costs, being from the period of history I loathe above all others!

I'm sure less prejudiced people would enjoy it though! lol!

Olivia said...

See that's the thing. I read Wuthering Heights and am not sorry I did. However, I may only ever need to read it once more. I do love the rest of the Bronte sisters' works...admittedly they are all quite heavy and deal with a lot of human suffering. So I think my morbid interest in them is that Victorian women were able to write about such things!

As for Les Miz the book, I have a problem with many French authors so have struggled to finish, for instance, Mme Bovary, and won't even bother to touch the Phantom of the Opera (though I've loved the musical since i saw it at the premiere in '86).

On to the historical aspect: Although I am into the first French Revolution and the Empire that followed, I have little interest in the next uprising and the Paris Commune.

A French acquaintance of mine, who once called me narrow minded for not reading a certain modern novel, would hate me for saying that, but since Matt isn't afraid to tell the truth on my blog, I shouldn't be afraid to do the same on his. Take it as a compliment, Matt.

MattJ said...

Which bit?! lol!

Stating the obvious, but all things like this are down to taste, which is why I think I object to the 'classic' tag associated with certain books whereas others are discounted due to genre or age, regardless of what entertainment they provide. I am in danger of plagiarising a friend here, who is far better placed to comment on 'classics' than I am. essentially its a difference between enjoying a good book and indulging in a literary exercise. It's all very well being clever and incisive but that doesn't stop your book from being as dull and uninspiring as wet weekend in Bognor.

As for the historical, that's the beauty of the French, they've had so very many revolutions that you can take your pick! :D

And that's just their own, not even counting the one they had in America! :p

I think you should go see it before you go home to Houston 'Liv, it will leave you with something amazing and positive to remember ;)

 
/* -----------GOOGLE ANALYTICS TRACKING CODE-------------- */ /*------------------END TRACKING CODE-------------------- */