Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Home, Hills, Myths and Legends - Part 1

So I returned to the homeland over the weekend, using 'Dutch Veal Calf Experience Coach Journeys' coach. After being ejected at Chester, Mike collected me in the new Mike Mobile and we headed back to his house for the Chili Of Death If You Are Lucky, beer, Cannibal Women of the Avocado Jungle of Death and a whole load of other crap that he picked out for us. Oh yes, I feel your jealous eyes!

Oh yes, not to be included in crap - we also watched the Trailer Park Boys Movie. I highly recommend you all watch seasons 1-7 of this original and hilarious comedy from Canada. Then watch the movie, it is awesome. Go. Go do it now!
Saturday we were out drinking. I couldn't exactly say who 'we' is, I had been drinking. What I do know is that at some point I agreed it would be a great idea to go walking up one of the local hills (I live right near the Clwydian Range) on Sunday morning.

Hmmmmm.

After a fortifying breakfast of bacon and egg, Mike came round and Pedr (who had availed himself of my mum's couch) bid a hasty retreat. We got supplies (some coke) and headed off. We decided that Moel Famau (Hill of the Mothers) would be too crowded as it tends to be the most popular place for walkers and tourists - it has the remains of the Jubilee Tower on it. So we decided to go up Moel Arthur (unsurprisingly 'home to King Arthur's Palace'):



I took all these with my phone by the way, so theya re a bit naff. You can't really make it out from this angle but there is a ring all around the top of Arthur where the fortifications of the old hill fort used to be back in the Iron Age. Anyway, here are some more pictures from on the way up:



Thats about half way up, its bigger than it looks from the bottom and I don't cpe well with heights. I am particularly not good with plummeting to imminent doom. That little red car is the Mike Mobile.




You can keep going to Offa's Dyke about 3/4 of the way up but we were headed to Bryngaer - the Hill Fort on Moel Arthur.



That little blip is the remains of the Jubilee Tower on Moel Famau in the distance.



That's me in my professional Welsh Hill walking gear stood next to an impressive pile of rocks. I think they felt the need to put something there in the absence of an actual hill fort. It's not quite as good as Painshill Park who put a big cardboard cut out in lieu of an actual feature. I kid you not!

More pics:





SHEEPSES!:



More to follow (don't worry, not more dull crap about me wandering the hills!)

No comments:

 
/* -----------GOOGLE ANALYTICS TRACKING CODE-------------- */ /*------------------END TRACKING CODE-------------------- */