Thursday, October 25, 2007

Breaking News - No One Fucking Cares!

There should be an International Law that forces all self-proclaimed news sites to have a Diana filter. This could serve multiple purposes, not least of which would be documenting who are the Diana conspiracy theorists and excluding them from any and all public debate on any subject - they clearly lack the ability to apply logic and reason to any situation.

The Diana filter would immediately remove all the pointless, worthless crap that is written around a sadly departed over priviledged socialite. Seriously, 'Poor me I live in a Palace full of treasure'. It's apparently blasphemy to say this but I didn't care for her when she was alive and, thanks to the Daily Express and everyone who still seems to think that this is in any way news, I care for her less now.

I check the BBC daily and the news stories from the 2007 inquest (I think it's an annual event now, kind of like the Queen's speech) this week:

Today - Diana Spoke
Yesterday - Diana chased and possibly hindered by Papps
Yesterday - Car in front of Diana on the road
Tuesday - Scooter may or may not have been ont he road at the same time as Diana
Monday - Spitting Image puppet of Diana to be sold.

I kid you not, this is just what I remember from glances at the 'most emailed headlines' link on the beeb. Who's emailing this crap to their friends?! And how do they still have friends?! Essentially the top emailed stories this week are 'Diana had the ability to speak', 'Other people in France use roads' and '80s puppet based satire enjoys brief rememberance'.

The irony that the same media that killed her is the same media that sheds crocodile tears and feigns interest in "finding the truth" now is not lost on me ;)

Of course, the biggest advantage of a compulsory Diana filter is that none of you would have had to read this ;)

4 comments:

David Morris said...

I agree with most of what you're saying there. However, I do believe that when she was alive, she did highlight some major issues that may not have got as much public attention otherwise (e.g. Landmines).

People should definitely have moved on though. It's been years since her death and I'm bored of hearing stories about her everyday.

MattJ said...

Yes, as a result of the media role she cast herself in, some good resulted as a by-product. It's nice when that happens, but this sainly light she is cast in annoys me as much as the conspiracy theorists! Anyway! enough of this! turn on your diana filter!

Olivia said...

Continuing on from what David Morris said, it's unfortunate that it's mostly famous people have the power to bring little-known, yet important issues to the public attention.

Well, that is what they are there for isn't it? Bob Geldof could have done it, but it just happened to be Princess Di. I guess she needed something to direct her energies toward. Her detractors would have hated her more if she had sat inside her palace. We tend to forget that the royal family, having lost their power to rule, are now glorified civil servants.

Hm, I didn't mean to play devil's advocate at first, but it looks like it turned into that.

personally, I no longer have an opinion on what happened to her or what is being done now regarding her death. Sometimes I just tend to drop overdone issues.

MattJ said...

I agree that we shouldn't be having a debate about her, it was kind of the original point of the post - who actually cares? Our opinions of her motives, etc. clearly differ but I don't really care. I want the news media to stop telling me I should be remotely interested in this over actual news. Also, by banning diana stories we could put the Daily Express out of business, I think we can all pull together for the common good here no matter our opinions on a superfluous monarchy ;)

 
/* -----------GOOGLE ANALYTICS TRACKING CODE-------------- */ /*------------------END TRACKING CODE-------------------- */