Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Moving on.....

On the way back from Wales on Sunday I made some decisions. The main one was that I could really do with a car. It does pain me to say it, but right now getting to and from the places I want to go is worse than pulling teeth - especially given that I usually have to travel back on a Sunday.

I haven't owned a car in over 5 years, I haven't needed one. Most people who tell you they NEED their car are talking out of their arse. Cars are a convenience for almost everyone who owns one, so don't tell me that you NEED it. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a thing against drivers, I have a thing against whining drivers who lie.

Especially anyone who owns anything 4*4 who lives in a town. You are an idiot and have no right to any opinions, especially where cars are concerned. I'm serious, shut up - I don't care how steep your drive is go and buy a car or a people carrier you inconsiderate arsewipe.

Incidentally, has anyone noticed how the bigger the car/Chelsea tractor outside a school, the smaller the insignificant nymph that is spat forth from it?

Anyway, I digress. Travelling back on a Sunday is generally like pulling teeth. I am also seeing a lot less of people that I want to see, mainly due to the fact that it costs the best part of £100 before I even arrive. Then I'm at the mercy of timetables, and a variety of interesting reasons for trains not running. I don't need a car, but I do want one.

There are other reasons that will make it convenient - if I move jobs or locations then having something of my own to transport things makes it easier. Equally for work travel etc. It would be a convenience and it would mean I could see all the people I've seen over recent weeks more often, as well as people like Emi who I haven't seen in an absolute age.

OK, so that was quite dull, but I got to ditch this stuff before fun and laughter can resume!

So - I have devised various cunning methods in order to gain the necessary monies for said vehicle, all of them revolving around not actually spending everything I earn. It'll be tough but I have some money saving initiatives:

1) Stop writing off a portion of my wages for XBox360/gadget related expenses.

2) Stop drinking when in the pub - This doesn't mean I give up alcohol, simply giving up alcohol when going for a 'casual drink'. I live in Surrey, this is a minimum of 20 pounds a time because apparently they brew everything in Platinum vats. I am not going to tell you how much money I worked out I spend on 'going for a pint' every week. It's shocking.

3)Eat food before it returns to life and makes a bid for freedom. Like a lot of people, a lot of food I buy ends up thrown away. I must return to studentdom and plan my food buyingness ratehr than shop hungry like I always do!

This coupled with other things will ensure I get a half decent car, I have picked one of the uglier French cars as my probable targets, but basically something about the size of a Focus.


*********************************************************

This is going on a bit, sorry - nearly done.

I nearly fell over at the first hurdle. I love my camera but it's too big to take out to the pub and stuff with me, or just to carry around. It's one of those you go somewhere to use, rather than use when you end up somewhere. So I decided I need a compact one but cunningly my phone contract is up for renewal which gives me a free upgrade. So I am going to use my proper phone for phone-ness, then if I go out I will use a new camera-esque phone (like Sony Ericsson) for pubbing etc. this completely contradicst something I wrote on Julie's blog earlier but it's not the same thing damnit! (IT'S NOT!). This isn't going to be a camera-phone. It will be a camera with a ring tone.

Piss off, I'm British - we make a career out of hypocrisy.

5 comments:

Olivia said...

Hahaha! Ah, the good old grumpy, contradictory Matt is back in all his glory.

Thanks for popping by to say hi :)

I understand the dilemma about getting a car. I have been looking at 2-bed places outside and inside of London and I am sure that the time and money invested in getting around outside of town will far outweigh the cost of living more centrally.

****

As for the camera phone, are you thinking of the new 5 MP Nokia? Dude, my baby SLR Kodak is flipping 5 MP...! What next!

Hanrah said...

Matt back on the roads - that'll put my insurance up a few quid! lol!
You don't need a car anyway Matt, we've got The Worthless Punk - what more could you need??

Maria said...

I am sure when you talk about people with 4X4s you are not talking about anyone in particular that you may know.... like someone you may have met in your trip to the US....right?

Famulus said...

Don't buy a French car!!!! The French can't make good cars. They are full of nice gadgets but they fall apart when you turn your back. Don't do it man!

Get a motor bike. ;-) Then learn how to ride it so that you can do so safely. I'm going to get a bike again in Sept. Can't wait. :-)

MattJ said...

Lol! Maja, everyone except you in the US has a 4X4! heheh. My expereinc of Citroens has always been really good, and I worked in a Citroen garage for 4 years remember - same with Renaults - mayeb not the peugot though..... lol. Especially the diesels.

The 4X4 thing was definitely a generic comment, not aimed at anyone in particular I promise! (Though that truck is ridiculous lol!)

 
/* -----------GOOGLE ANALYTICS TRACKING CODE-------------- */ /*------------------END TRACKING CODE-------------------- */