Thursday, June 01, 2006

A Friend in Need

It has come to my attention through discussions with Martin that the good people of Holland have no access to Take Away currys. Or indeed Indian cuisine of any nature - static or otherwise. I know, it's shocking.

Well I have been touched by his tale of Woe and Misery and I hope that, in some small way, I can help these poor oppressed people. If I can help Martin, perhaps the word will spread and he can enlighten the poor, hapless Dutch.

Together we can make Holland a better place.

I get ahead of myself. First we need to supply emergency aid to Martin who, as we speak, will be tucking into something that isn't liable to take his face off.....*sob!*......here ya go buddy! *sniff!*

Matt's Lamb Curry thingy

You need:
450g/1lb potatoes
450g/1lg diced lamb (best off with a decent cut of meat, other wise you could be cooking forever)
1 pintish of boiling water
60ml oil/ghee
1 Large Onion - chop it as finely as you can
around 6 green chillies finely chopped (as many as you like really - unless it's a scotch bonnet, in which case threatening the mixture with it should be enough)
3 tsp Tomato puree
Tin of chopped tomatoes
2tsp turmeric powder
2tsp chilli powder
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp ginger powder
2tsp salt
2tsp garam masala

If you want to be proper you could chop some coriander for decoration afterwards.



OK, that's your ingredients. Go get 'em, I'll wait here.

1) Peel potatoes, cut into bite-size cubes and par-boil them. (that means half cooked to you poor Dutch folk).

2)Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions and chillis. Stir continuosly until the onion goes brown or until it's soft and you've gotten a bit bored.

3)This is the best bit. Add all of the other ingredients except the water, mix it all together. It's important to have a big grin on your face here, as you see it change a few different colours and release the best smell in the world. Lower the heat and simmer the mixture for about five minutes - stir it once about half way through this time.

4) add the water and simmer for about half hour or so, stir every 5 minutes(ish)

5) Add the potatoes. Simmer for about 20 minutes. The potatoes suck the water right up so if it goes that sludgey take away consistency and the potatoes still aren't cooked just add a little more water and simmer it some more until both the potatoes are cooked and you have achieved sludge.

6) At some point in the proceedings I am hoping you made some rice. Put it on a plate, add curry, grab a pint. Lovely.


Please everyone, write the Dutch. Send them your curry recipes, freeze food parcels for them - do anything you can to help these poor people. Martin is going to be OK, but how many more must suffer before the world takes notice?

9 comments:

Famulus said...

Thank you good friend. I should point out that there are in fact a few places in Amsterdam that **claim** to be Indian restaurants, but I have yet to find one that is in anyway as good as any Indian that can be found in the UK. I have certainly never found one that I would be willing to make a second trip to...

The Chinese, Malay and Tai restaurants are good, but a **good** Indian rastaurant is rarer than the good old Rocking Horse Shit. :-)

Olivia said...

A few more years Famulus - I remember when I lived in the UK in the 80s, telling someone you were going to dinner at an Indian restaurant was the same as telling them you were going to guarantee yourself a night hanging over the toilet bowl.

And now look, it's the national dish of England - and I have my own favourite Indian restaurant.

Famulus said...

The curry has been made.

The curry has been eaten...

Compliments from Marlies. :-)

I couldn't get any garam masala, so I found out how it's made and added the ingredients. Wasn't as hot as I was expecting, but it was very nice. And there is quite a bit over for tomorrow. :-)

Thanks. Any more receipies?

Olivia said...

Curry is best not eaten on the first day, but left to ripen among the spices.....mmmm.

MattJ said...

Fam - Good Man! I made the curry for friend son Friday. My plan was to arrive in chester and get cooking. Jon wanted to show his local, as did Becca and Michelle.

The moral of the story is - Don't get Matt drunk until AFTER he has added the chilli powder. :p

Liv - absolutely, the day after is always the best!

I'll post the recipe for my favourite chicken one next.

Fam - did you just add garama massala ingrediants? That might explain it abit, you need to grind em all up together.

lunaliar said...

I'll definately have to try this! Speaking of food parcels, Dave ate your cookies, Matt. I'll have to get another box to keep in my pantry while I procrastinate sending them.

MattJ said...

It's nice to contribute to humanity. hehe. Just found out the long absent Maria made this with chicken, which went down well but I'll post a proper chicken recipe another day - do it with Lamb people! It's the welsh way! (see what i did there?).

LL- Yeah! you owe me now! Tell dave to get his filthy mits off my cookies goddamnit! What am I gonna eat after my curry?.....

Olivia said...

Cool! What biccies did you send to Luna?

MattJ said...

She was supposed to be sending me some carrot cake cookies!

 
/* -----------GOOGLE ANALYTICS TRACKING CODE-------------- */ /*------------------END TRACKING CODE-------------------- */