Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Things to do....

I appear to have developed a social calendar this week. This is a very good thing, I've been feeling very unpopular of late. Nothing based on fact you understand, I just need constant adoration in order to feel validated in my existence. I'm a very shallow man.

Anyway, a few of us are off down to the lovely Penny Black pub after work tonight in order to say farewell to Nim, who is leaving our Project to seek something more exciting to do with his time than is offered by his current role. You know the kind of thing; seeing how long you can go without blinking, figuring out why Big Toes look so weird etc. So I've sent an email round to a few people inviting them along but I'm not getting a huge response. Maybe it's a little short notice. Or perhaps it's because, in the email, I may have implied that Nim is the Gimp for German businessmen at the weekends.

Tomorrow night the worlds first Welsh Pygmy has invited me to Wimbledon for a night out which should be fun, I haven't seen her in a while. Saying that, neither have most people, she spends most of her time running around below eye level. Anyway I've asked Rob to come along too, possibly in place of but more likely in addition to, our semi-regular Friday session. I'm hoping he comes and brings his new girlfriend with him so I can embarrass her with tales of Saturday night. If I run out of stories I can always start making things up so no worries there!

I also really need to sort Christmas presents out, I've been totally lame! I've done the looking but failed entirely to do the buying part. It's all been a bit mental and haven't had the time to get anywhere good to buy stuff so some people are going to end up with gifts I usually leave other people to buy (DVDs etc. :-( ). I'm not good at many things but present buying is usually one of them so I'll be quite disappointed if time runs out on me to get people things they'll enjoy the most.

Finally an update on the February party. In an astounding display of presence of forethought, Red Leader, RoboMatt, Nim and I have booked into the Farringdon Travelodge for the date in question. We got a room each becuase we got some special rate or other. This is great news as there will be no walk of shame and on the off chance that we are still able to move there is the possibility of bars or clubs after the do or an aftershow party in one of the rooms. I am feeling quite chipper about the whole thing which, considering I was previously going to boycott it, is quite a turn around.

There was going to be a bit here about the possibility of me having to come back to work at a ludicrously late hour to do some time-sensitive things but that's not happening now so woohoo!

5 comments:

MJ said...

Hello!!!!
Ok....what I am about to tell you is worth of a blogg entry, and since I don’t have my own blog I will use yours and bore you and your readers with the details of my misery.
I am in finals week....which is a bit stressful as it is...but listen to this...I have this professor who decided to go to Hawaii the week before finals, so took the easy way out and gave as a take home final to be e-mailed to him no later than Monday at 5pm. for each hour late he would take 10 points off. So...nerdy me, seeing how much I had to do I planned my entire week and started doing the final which I successfully completed by Sunday night. On Monday I made the final revision, referenced my work (which was actually kind of cool considering I referenced myself) and sent it at 2:48pm according to my gmail account. Last night at seven o’clock I check my e-mail and to my surprise there was an e-mail from my professor saying he had not received my final so he will continue taking points off until he receives it...note this is 26 hours later. So, supposing I do a great job, I have a -160 in my exam. So I kept my cool and e-mailed him forwarding the e-mail with an explanation and just to make sure I opened the properties of the file and pressed print and copied the image into a word file which I sent as well. According to it, the file was last modified on Dec 12, 2:01:16pm.
Well, today I received an e-mail from the professor saying he is not going to take my exam because he downloaded it to his computer and in the properties it says last modified on the 13th....off course it was last modified on the 14th...that is not the original file...it is a copy that his computer created on the 13th or 14th...I don’t know...he just wants to get nasty....
So....what to do...I could go talk to my dept. chair...it just so happens that he is it....
So, here comes my dilemma....I am in the process of applying for my PhD and on the 27th my grades will be automatically sent by my current university to the universities I have applied to...service for which I had to pay 50 dollars...so. The universities will receive my grades and will see that I got a big fat F in that class and I won’t get to go to grad school, which will make me very upset...
So... I assume you are thinking that I should go to someone tomorrow...like the dean or the president of the university or ... the pope...well, it is not that easy considering I have two finals and a paper to turn in tomorrow.. And I am a bit behind considering I have been crying my eyes out all afternoon instead of studying....
ok...that is it....i will keep you updated on the situation

MJ said...

sorry about grammar and spelling...it is normally bad, but i slept 2 hours last night so...that is my excuse today
oh...remind me to tell you about my senior design proposal presentation with fruit loops...I also have a sotry regarding that...but too much drama for one day and i am pretty sure your readers are not too interested!!!
This will all be over on friday and I will be gone to pittsburgh to see my sister and the snow....can't wait!!!
oh...yes..i do know it is us and not as

MattJ said...

They guy is a moron, the reason it says last modified the 13th is because his computer made the dopy, you are absolutely right.

You definately need tp go see someone else, the department chair or whoever. Show them the file on your laptop then lodge a formal complaint against this lazy sack. I have to say MJ, compared to the lecturers i had your just seem to be arrogant obstructionist arseholes!

Paddy Duncan said...

What a cock, I hope you get it sorted soon. I'm up to my eyeballs in work at the mo as well. For some reason no one has any sympathy for me if I leave it all to the last minute, they don't understand that all men leave everything to the last minute.

Olivia said...

Matt - you missed the bit where she said her professor IS the department chair.

M - sorry to hear it. Can gmail show detailed headers, and do you keep a copy of Sent messages? I wish I had a fantastic solution because I know how you feel - my laptop crashed last yr when I was writing my MPhil thesis so I had to get a month extension. My prof was so cool with it.

Do let us know what happens!

 
/* -----------GOOGLE ANALYTICS TRACKING CODE-------------- */ /*------------------END TRACKING CODE-------------------- */