Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Back from the Land of The Ice and Snow........

I'm sorry, couldn't resist. The Zepp do rule.

So an eventful weekend away and back down the salt mines now, apologies for the lack of postings but I'm pretty sure my internet at home is now fixed so hopefully such unacceptable delays will no longer occur. We can but hope.

It's been over a week since I've been to the gym because of this trip away and the lurgy I had last week. You may have guessed that I didn't go over the weekend, it turns out that the Rah and Kirsty weren't busy at all on Saturday, so I kind of gave up on that idea. My intentions were once again scuppered on Sunday when it turned out Rah wasn't at rehearsals until 4 pm, so we went to watch the Libertine. Then we got drunk. It was a very good day.

I now have a dilemma. Go to the Gym tonight and skip tomorrow or skip another day and go to Yoga tomorrow. I'm not really confident I will be able to do both, even with the best will in the world as my body will be a bit broken if I go tonight. I've decided to see how I feel at end of the day. Either way, I'll be heading off to the gym at least every other day now I am back down here until Christmas. I'm even considering early morning swims. Though that maybe stretching the bounds of optimism to hallucinogenic proportions.

A note on the Libertine. I don't know anyone who isn't a massive Jonny Depp fan, for very good reason - he is an excellent actor, he even shines in the occasional crap film he has done (9th Gate - an endurance trial not a film!). His best work, however, is always in these smaller productions. Granted, until relatively recently he wasn't ever really involved in massive Blockbusters which, in my opinion, is to his credit.

That's enough about someone we all already know is excellent, also pointless extoling the virtues of John Malkovitch who also shines in everything he is in. These are just my opions as a layman film goer but I have to say the most surprising support performance for me was from Jonny Vegas, a guy I've always been in two minds about as a comedian and as a comedy actor. I think he played his role fantastically. I like being pleasantly surprised this way, it somehow makes all the 'brain out, popcorn in' stuff that gets crapped out of Hollywood worth wading through. I should point out here that as a professional hypocrite I am well within my rights to watch, even sometimes enjoy such films and insult their relative worth in the same breath. I won't bang on at anymore length about the Libertine, just go see it.

I am going to go to Camden on Saturday provided it isn't lashing it down outside. I need a scarf and something for one of the Christmas parties I am going to, though I am not sure what yet. The rather uninspired theme is 'Moulin Rouge' which is fine for the ladies but kind leaves the guys with the Tux option. Well sod that, I am thinking pin stripe trousers, a velvet tailcoat of some variety and a top hat and cane. You know, looking like a weirdo. I was also considering wearing sandles. Either that or going as a pirate. You can't go wrong with pirates.

"If I had a large amount of money I should found a hospital for those whose grip upon the world is so tenuous that they can be severely offended by words and phrases yet remain all unoffended by the injustice, violence and oppression that howls daily" - Stephen Fry

5 comments:

Olivia said...

Velvet tailcoat, top hat and cane? I'm thinking of Johnny Depp as Mr Wonka.
And Matt in Moulin Rouge.
Circle complete.

M. said...

Yes, I am indeed a fan of Johnny Depp, and have to laugh about "The 9th Gate" because it really was awful, even if it did have another excellent actor/actress in it: Lena Olin.

Good luck with the top hat, cane, and coat. I'm terrible at coming up with costumes even if it has options for ladies.

-merserene

Olivia said...

Hey on the way back home this evening, I saw an escalator ad for a Moulin Rouge-themed party at the Selfridge Hotel. Is that the one you're going to?

MattJ said...

Nah, this is a thing orgnanised byt the graduate organisation within my company. We are at the Riverbank Park Plaza.

Our Bizarrely dated and cunningly titled 'New Years Party' is at The Renaissance Chancery Court Hotel. I'm currently working on a ploy that will get me out of wearing a Tux, if i wanted to wear a uniforn socially I would have joined the services.

Olivia said...

Oh, then it seems Moulin Rouge and Masquerades are popular themes this year...

I've been to the bar, Pearl, at the Chancery Court Hotel! This summer, with my, um, almost-ex. (He's the fast blue parrot guy and always Anon on my blog.)
It's a very cool bar, if you will be there, otherwise it's worth a look in for the decor and the cozy booths.

 
/* -----------GOOGLE ANALYTICS TRACKING CODE-------------- */ /*------------------END TRACKING CODE-------------------- */